do teeth get extracted?
Most teeth are extracted because of severe tooth
decay or when they become loose. Tooth extraction
is normally a simple, safe and uncomplicated treatment
if proper instructions are followed.
What should you do before
Before going to the clinic :
- Take your meal.
- Take your medications if you are on any e.g. for
- Inform the dentist if you have any medical problem.
- Be calm.
What should you do after
- Place and bite gauze properly over the site of
extraction for at least ten minutes or until the
bleeding stops. If bleeding continues, bite on clean
gauze and seek treatment at the nearest dental clinic
or hospital immediately.
- Swallow your saliva.
- Take the medication as instructed.
Can complications occur?
- Do not rinse your mouth within 24 hours.
- Do not disturb the extraction site with your
tongue or finger.
- Avoid hot drinks or foods.
- Avoid strenuous exercise.
- Avoid smoking.
Normally the extraction socket will heal within 3-7
days, however complications may occur such as :
- Persistent pain.
- Prolonged numbness
- Prolonged bleeding or recurrence of bleeding
- Socket not healing
Consult your dentist immediately if you have any